Provost, Dr. Dwight Perry, announces plans for commencement
Dear Moody Family,
In the midst of this unprecedented year, I have seen the promise in Psalm 9:10 come true, that as we have kept our eyes focused on the Lord and trusted in Him, He has not forsaken us. By the grace of God and your hard work, we have been able to continue our 135th academic year and equip more men and women to serve the Lord in their area of calling.
As our classroom and student activities have had to significantly pivot and adjust due to COVID-19, so will our commencement ceremonies this year. Given the current guidelines and protocols from our state and local health departments regarding COVID-19, Moody’s leadership has made the following plans for commencement.
- Saturday, May 8, in Plymouth, Mich. (11 a.m.): This commencement ceremony will be for 2020 and 2021 MTS Michigan students. It will be limited to faculty and graduates only, and livestreamed on our website (and potentially social media) so that family and friends of the graduates will be able to watch.
- Monday, May 10 - Friday, May 14, in Torrey-Gray Auditorium: During this week, there will be smaller ceremonies for Moody Bible Institute programs, which will be limited to faculty and graduates only. We are working with our ITS team on also making these ceremonies available via livestream on our website and social media. More information about these ceremonies will be posted soon on our commencement web page, and shared directly with graduating students.
- Saturday, May 15: On this day, we will livestream the following three commencement ceremonies. No one will be in attendance; rather, students and their families will watch from home.
- MBI Undergraduate Commencement at 10 a.m. (class of 2021)
- MTS Commencement at 1 p.m. (class of 2021)
- MBI/MTS Commencement at 3 p.m. (class of 2020)
- Saturday, June 19, in Spokane, Wash. (10 a.m. – noon): This ceremony will be for 2021 graduating students from our Moody Aviation campus. The ceremony will be limited to faculty and graduates only. We are working with campus leadership to determine if a livestream will be available to family and friends.
Please know that our priorities are to honor the hard work and achievements of our graduating students and those who have supported them, along with protecting the health and safety of those involved. Since we must finalize plans well in advance for commencement, and we simply do not know if there will be any changes in COVID-19 guidelines and protocols in the spring, leadership along with our COVID-19 Task Force believe that this is the wisest course of action to take.
Please stay tuned to our commencement web page, which will be updated with more information soon. Academic Records will email graduating students regarding their respective commencement ceremony.
Finally, I want to speak directly to our students. I sincerely appreciate all of your hard work and dedication this past year, as well as your patience as, together, we continue to navigate these unique challenges. For those of you who are graduating, this is not the commencement you imagined when you began your studies, but as followers of Christ we know that what God allows in our life He promises that His grace is sufficient and will use it to make you a more passionate, effective servant for His glory.
May God bless you, and the school that D.L. Moody founded!
Dr. Dwight Perry