Profile and Quick Facts
Founded by evangelist D. L. Moody in 1886, Moody equips people with the truth of God's Word across the globe, cultures and generations. Through its three schools, Moody Bible Institute, Moody Theological Seminary and Moody Bible Institute Distance Learning, Moody trains the next generation of Christian ministry leaders. Moody Radio, one of the oldest Christian radio networks in the U.S., has grown to include more than 70 full power stations and translators. Moody Radio also operates six Internet stations and more than 1,600 outlets carry all or part of their original programming. Moody Publishers is home to renowned authors Gary Chapman, Nancy Leigh DeMoss, Tony Evans, Erwin Lutzer, J. Oswald Sanders, Juli Slattery, and A.W. Tozer. For more information about Moody Global Ministries, please visit www.moodyglobal.org.
Approximately 627 full-time employees work at Moody, including full-time faculty members.
Moody Bible Institute
- Established in 1886
- Founded by D. L. Moody
- Located on 22 acres on Chicago's Near North Side and on campuses in Spokane, Wash., and Plymouth, Mich.
- Approximate annual budget: $115 million with 40 percent or more coming from contributions
- Approximately 3,300 students in the undergraduate and graduate programs.
- Approximately 65 countries are represented in the student body.
- More than 47,000 living alumni are serving around the world.
- Noteworthy alumni: Mary McLeod Bethune, Gary Chapman, Gene Getz, Mark Jobe, Jerry B. Jenkins, Wes Stafford, and Arloa Sutter
- Approximately 100 combined graduate and undergraduate full-time faculty members on the Chicago Campus.
- 70 full power stations and translators
- More than 700 affiliates representing 1,600 outlets, including translators, satellators and booster stations
- Moody Broadcasting Network launched in 1982.
- WMBI in Chicago, the oldest licensed religious radio station under continuous ownership in the U.S., aired its first broadcast in 1926.
- In 2011, launched Radio Moody, a Spanish-language Christian radio network which includes six owned and operated stations and two affiliates.
- Recent awards:
- 2015 Stellar Gospel Music Award's "Internet Station of the Year": Urban Praise
- 2015 NRB Hall of Fame Award: Mike Kellogg
- 2013 NRB Radio Program of the Year: OneCry Prayer Summit
- 2011 NRB On-Air Personality of the Year: Janet Parshall
- 2010 NRB Radio Station of the Year (Medium/Small Market): WMBW
- 2009 NRB On-Air Personality of the Year: Chris Fabry
- 2009 NRB Radio Station of the Year (Large Market): WMBI
- 2008 NRB On-Air Personality of the Year: Janet Parshall
- 2008 NRB Radio Program of the Year: Midday Connection
- 2007 Associated Press Best Newscast: WMBI
- 2006 Associated Press Best Newscast: WMBI
- 2006 NRB Hall of Fame Award: Donald Cole
- 2005 NRB Talk Show of the Year: Open Line
- Started in 1894
- Moody Publishers' books are published in more than 77 languages
- 1,000-plus titles are available from Moody Publishers and Northfield Publishing
- Approximately 50 new titles are published each year
- Key authors: Gary Chapman, Nancy Leigh DeMoss, Tony Evans, Erwin Lutzer, J. Oswald Sanders, Juli Slattery, and A.W. Tozer
- Conferences are held around the nation.
- Pastors' Conference each May brings nearly 1,000 pastors together
- Founder's Week, an annual Bible conference held in February, attracts nearly 4,000 people from around the world each evening, with 20,000 in total attendance.
- "The Marriage You've Always Wanted" conferences with Gary Chapman held 16 times annually, across the U.S.
Today in the Word
- A daily devotional with a readership of more than 200,000 representing 68 different countries
- Publication began in February 1988
- Available as a print publication, online, a daily email, and on Facebook and Twitter
- Features a range of topical and character studies on both the Old and New Testaments